Tuesday 22 May 2012

I Love Me Some Vegetables!

         After my vegetable adventure a few weeks back I've been trying to add more of them into my daily menu. There are a few different ones that I have been eating on a regular basis, but rutabagas have been appearing more often than the others. I've tired them a few different ways, but the way I like to eat them the most is mashed. They have a light, mild cauliflower flavor but, unlike cauliflower, have the creamy, fluffy texture of mashed potatoes. With a little butter, salt, and pepper, I could eat them all day long. They are a great way to replace carb loaded potatoes, but still leave you feeling satisfied at the end of your meal (1 cup of potatoes have around 30 carbs, while one cup of rutabagas have around 11 carbs). This is, without a doubt,  my favorite way to eat rutabagas (this can also be found in the recipe section under sides):


Mashed Rutabagas

-  1 medium to large rutabaga

-  1 tbsp. butter (more or less to your own taste)

-  Salt and pepper to taste

-  2 crushed garlic cloves, or garlic powder to taste (optional)




-  Peel the rutabaga and cut into 1 inch cubes. Place in a medium pot and cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook 30 to 45 minutes, until rutabaga is fork tender, then drain. Mash with remaining ingredients and enjoy!

It is that simple, and they are so good! I almost prefer them to mashed potatoes... almost. While I do love a big scoop of mashed potatoes, mashed rutabagas are a nice alternative for me while I'm trying to lose weight.

I hope some of you out there give this recipe a try, you just might enjoy them as much as I do!

♥ Lots of LOVE ♥

Laura 


No comments:

Post a Comment